January 31, 2012

And so who are you...


I have to be careful here... not to take a holier than thou stance. I mean. We have all done it. I have. It is usually something I regret if done out loud. If "caught in the act". Judging others. Once you have found a connection with your higher self, it is hard not to be a little tough on yourself when you live so much below your best potential.
This is basically what I get from this quote. I have to work at refusing to live down to the general consensus. I think I have some amends to be making. A great many even.
In attending my diversity training yesterday, I hoped to learn something new ... and instead, I was faced with judgement. Challenged about my thinking... by someone who had nothing else to base it on except... this is how a white woman thinks. WHAT! It pissed me off. I do not own what she was basically accusing me of, it just did not fit at all. But, to be preaching about how harshly WE judge and exclude other races (she did not want to discuss any other modes of exclusion). Sorry sister... I have to say. That your actions happen to have said more about YOU in that exchange than it did ME.
My reaction however... well, that is an altogether other post... that I can accept is all mine.
So... in addition. Can I send a wave of love out to all the peeps near and far. I know you have felt judged. So have I. Many times. For parts of who I am, what I do, what I have done, what I look like, where I come from, who I love, what I have, what I do not have, how old I am, what I wear... you get it. Can we agree that no matter what the reason. The feelings we are left with allow us all to be part of a very INCLUSIVE club. No one really gets left out.
And can we also commit to one small step. Be conscious in how we think about others. What conclusions we draw. How we talk about it and how we allow it to inflate our own perception of self for a time. Yeah, that. I am going to work on that.


1 comment:

Cassandra said...

Amen Sister!

I got asked to leave my diversity class because I refused to accept that as a wife to a biracial man and mother to biracial children I have a "white woman" mentality.
The class taught me more about patience and holding my tongue then diversity