January 25, 2012

Higher Education

I am sitting at the computer waiting for my boy to come home from work. I have a wee bit of excitement I am trying to contain. Tonight I will be helping my little man, my baby, my first born... apply for college.
He has narrowed down his options. He has decided he does not want to leave the nest to pursue his education. He has money saved up to pay his application fee. And... he has Mommy, ready to take this leap into his future with him.
Silly as it is... I am glad he still needs his Mama to help out with these processes. I have to wonder... maybe he really doesn't... and could do it all himself... but he knows it is something I am all to happy to be a small part of.
I am after all, the Mommy who dropped him off at daycare and then sat outside wondering if I really should leave, just yet. I am the Mommy who walked him to his first day of school... and cried all the way home after dropping him off. I well up at the sight of anything pride worthy, really I do. I did not get to bring him to his first day of high school... so I am pretty confident he plans to go to his first day of college on his own too.
I really do not consider this living vicariously through his life... I have experienced all of these first hand. I do not get much of trying to do that...  but truly... experiencing his milestones... from the supporting role of Mom.... now that is a whole different ball game!

No comments: